and day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, [acts 2:46]
when we gather with other believers, the presence of the Lord sustains us, day by day.
for where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” [matthew 18:20]
we were made for community, we were made to be a part of the body. when we isolate, when we individuate, we forget and turn in on ourselves and become consumed with our own little kingdoms. we need to be in community to be reminded of our identity, to understand that we are part of of the body of Christ–and what our purpose is!
and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near. [hebrews 10:25-26]
what do your gatherings look like–do they look like the world, or are they distinctly Christ-centered? do you spend time over a meal, generously sharing what the Lord has provided for you, gladly recounting the blessings of God and stirring others to good works, or is your table-talk all politics and work and sports and weather and distinctly lacking in gospel encouragement? we don’t have time for that–the day is drawing near! lead out in hospitality and generosity, even if you feel like you have been given little, you can open up your home and share a meal, committing to a lifestyle of gospel community. learn to ask your guests and hosts these questions–and listen, and celebrate and pray–
- what has the Holy Spirit been showing you in your time in the word?
- what are some heavy burdens you have been carrying that we can turn to Christ to carry?
- what is something in your life we can pray for that only God could change in supernatural power right now?
- what are some blessings you have been thankful for in the last week, month, year?
- what are you struggling with that i can pray for? Christ can do an amazing work right now!
- what are you passionate about in the body, how can i encourage and help you in your ministry?
- how did you come to Christ?, i have heard it before but i want to rejoice in the work he has done!
as you sit in the presence of the Lord today, ask yourself these questions, ask them to your spouse, your roommate, your friends, your kids and start to become more gospel-fluent in your language, let our hearts be full of the gladness, encouragement and generosity of Christ!