that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.[philippians 3:10-11]
“that i may know him”.
the holy desire of our new creation lives is to know him. the holy unction of our new hearts born again by Christ is to know him. the holy drive of our soul that has been redeemed by Jesus is to know him – because God’s desire is for you to know him.
- grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. [2 peter 3:18]
- speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ [ephesians 4:15]
- so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; [colossians 1:10]
- let us know; let us press on to know the Lord; [hosea 6:3]
- and this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. [john 17:3]
- i do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, [ephesians 1:16-17]
these are but six of hundreds of passages where God declares his desire for you to know him. if the Spirit of God lives in you by the work of Jesus Christ, then the new creation that God is making in you – longs to know Jesus.
- how would your prayers change if you truly believed God longs for you to know him?
- how would your time in the word change if you truly believed God longs for you to know him?
- how would the focus of your day change if you truly believed God longs for you to know him?
the apostle paul believed that God longed from him to know Jesus. paul also believed that “knowing” Jesus was tied directly to sharing with him in his sufferings. it begs the question in my head and heart, do i believe knowing Jesus is worth suffering? hear the question again …
do you believe knowing Jesus is worth suffering?
let’s ask the LORD to help us believe him today that he truly longs for us to know him – as friends know one another. let’s ask the LORD to help us believe that knowing him is worth any suffering. let’s pray this together for ourselves, for your friends, for your family. let’s pray!
o LORD, help me believe that you, holy, almighty, all-powerful God, long to know me. yes LORD, i believe, but help my unbelief! and LORD, help me believe that knowing you is worth suffering! subdue my old desires, increase your desires in me, and allow me to count everything a worthy loss for the sake of knowing you!
~ john ryan