and the king commanded, and those men who had maliciously accused daniel were brought and cast into the den of lions—they, their children, and their wives. and before they reached the bottom of the den, the lions overpowered them and broke all their bones in pieces. [daniel 6:24]
evil is real and powerful
we often see evil as an – “over there” thing. for example …
- evil exists in malawi were girls are being sex trafficked “over there”. thank God for david paterka and “when the saints” for intervening with the gospel there. so let’s go “there” and serve to fight against the evil “there”.
- evil exists in that family “over there”. that boy was abused and we need to help him and help that family.
- evil exists in that war “over there”. let’s pray for ukraine and the evil that is happening “over there”.
- evil exists in places in our country – racism, hatred, poverty, sexual confusion, idolatry and more. let’s pray for our country and people that are caught in these evils all “over” – here and “there”.
this is true – evil does exist “over there” – but evil exists right here in us and around us – close.
- in our own heart – evil exists in our own heart as we struggle running after other gods. we commit spiritual adultery constantly giving ourselves to other gods.
- in our own home – evil exists in our roommates, our kids, our spouse. they are all born sinful and capable of rejecting worship of the Lord which leads the heart to evil places.
- in our extended family – we have all dealt with sin and evil in our extended family as we grow older.
- in our neighborhood – we have sin and evil living around us, even in our neighborhoods that are more quaint and quiet
- in our church – the church universal is full of sinful people and even contains wolves as the word warns us that are only out to harm people.
evil is real and powerful to harm and destroy – but the LORD is greater and more powerful to rescue, heal and restore.
daniel was rescued from evil people and their evil intent to harm (tossing him to the lions). but in the end, these lions that were a means of evil t- were turned on the evil doers. evil in this world will eventually be consumed by itself the word tells us.
- calamity will surely destroy the wicked, [psalm 34:21]
and eventually, evil doers will be judged and destroyed by God.
i will punish the world for its evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; i will put an end to the pomp of the arrogant, and lay low the pompous pride of the ruthless. [isaiah 13:11]
evil is real, it is powerful – but it does not win.
today, rejoice for “we know how the story ends.” (shane and shane from “you’ve already won”.)
today, rejoice for your God is coming back to fully heal and restore all that evil has done in this world.
today, rejoice for your God is returning to fully and perfectly restore the very reason he created you – to be with you!
today, enjoy and feast on the word of the Lord below as he reminds us – evil is real and powerful, but he wins!
then i saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. and i saw the holy city, new jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. and i heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. he will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.
and he who was seated on the throne said, “behold, i am making all things new.” also he said, “write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” and he said to me, “it is done! i am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. to the thirsty i will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. the one who conquers will have this heritage, and i will be his God and he will be my son. but as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” [revelation 21:1-8]
~ john ryan