all the high officials of the kingdom, the prefects and the satraps, the counselors and the governors are agreed that the king should establish an ordinance and enforce an injunction, that whoever makes petition to any god or man for thirty days, except to you, o king, shall be cast into the den of lions. now, o king, establish the injunction and sign the document, so that it cannot be changed, according to the law of the medes and the persians, which cannot be revoked.” therefore king darius signed the document and injunction. [daniel 6:7-9]
the same old lie. the same old temptation. put yourself in the place of God. you can be like God. you can be God.
just like satan in the garden of eden, these servants of darkness are luring king darius with the idea of complete power and supremacy. and it doesn’t take much convincing for him to give in. not thinking of daniel, his most trusted official, the king signs the document for his own glory and his own pride.
God’s word makes very clear that all glory and honor belongs to him, as it should. he is the all-supreme Creator of all things, sovereign in power, full of majestic glory.
- yours, o Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. yours is the kingdom, o Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. [1 chronicles 29:11]
- o Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! you have set your glory above the heavens. [psalm 8:1]
- and to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed. [daniel 7:14]
- “worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.” [revelation 4:11]
- i am the Lord; that is my name; my glory i give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. [isaiah 42:8]
God’s glory is our entire purpose in life. are you living that way? do your thoughts and words, actions and activities, time, energy, and resources point to the glory of your Father in heaven? in what areas of your life have you signed a document of self glorification?
so, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
may our lives praise the only one worthy of praise. may he be exalted in our hearts. may he be exalted in our church. may he be exalted in all the earth!